During your program, you are required to pay the following taxes:

  • Federal
  • State
  • Local taxes

J-1 program participants are exempt from paying FICA taxes (Social Security and Medicare). The Federal, State and Local taxes will be deducted from your wages and outlined on your paycheck. The good news is that you are eligible to apply for a tax refund.  To get your tax back you will need the following:

  • Your W-2 document – this is issued by your employer in January or February. It will be either given to you or mailed to your agency.


  • Your Final pay stub – you receive it with your final paycheck if you received paper checks during your program.


Your Final pay stub– you receive it with your final paycheck, if you were getting paper checks during your program.

The W-2 document is issued by employer (Host Company) in January/February each year.  Once the W-2 document is issued, it is either given to you directly (if you are in the US at this time), or mailed to your agency in your home country

How to get a tax refund

At AAG, we’re not tax experts so we’ve formed a partnership with global tax specialist, provides US tax refunds for J-1 visa holders and has refunded millions of dollars to our participants since 1996.

Their free tax refund calculator will give you an instant tax refund estimation.

The service is simple to use and custom-built for students like you:

  • Register for a free tax refund estimation
  • Fill out a US tax application form
  • Get your US tax refund


Visit the website