Welcome to the USA! You may already know that the health care system in the United States operates much differently than it does in other countries. Please see the important insurance information below, including steps you must take to correctly use your insurance and avoid being charged too much money for your medical treatment.
AAG recommends that you see a doctor and a dentist in your home country before arriving in the United States to ensure you are healthy and can get medications for any conditions you might have. It is important that you have medication to last your whole program.
The list below is a summary of key coverage points. It is NOT a comprehensive list. AAG is not responsible for any misunderstandings, miscommunications or incorrect information regarding your insurance coverage. For complete and accurate information, always contact your insurance company directly.
1. THE RISKS COVERED WITH THE INSURANCE ARE:
- Unexpectedly and urgent medically necessary medical expenses resulting from an accident or illness
- Prescription medications for conditions diagnosed while in the U.S. only
- Accidents that occurred while skiing, up to $5,000
- Some LAB’s, MRIs, CT Scans, and X-rays only if pre-authorization is granted
- Repatriation: In the event of death, repatriation of mortal remains, including transportation of the body from the site of death to the sending funeral home to the airport, minimally necessary casket or air tray for transport, coordination of consular services, procuring death certificate and transport of the remains from the airport to the receiving funeral home
- Medical Evacuation: Transportation to a medical facility that can provide appropriate care in the event of serious injury or sickness that cannot be adequately dealt with at the location where the illness or accident took place.
- Bedside visitation for one family member in case of critical illness or accident
2. THE RISKS NOT COVERED WITH THE INSURANCE ARE:
- Willful attempt at self- injury; suicide or attempted suicide
- Injuries resulting from criminal activity or resulting while one is arrested or imprisoned
- Injuries resulting from natural catastrophes
- AIDS, no matter how it is acquired or called, or HIV infection
- Self- treatment or disobedience of a doctor’s advice
- Pregnancy (incl. tubal pregnancy), childbirth, abortion and any consequent complications or diseases
- Involvement in hazardous activities including motor sports, flying, hang-gliding, sailing and underwater sports and hobbies, jumps from height, climbing requiring special equipment and speleology (spelunking)
- Any injuries sustained while snowboarding
- Injuries sustained while skiing/snowboarding off official paths and injuries sustained due to alcohol or drug consumption
- Consumption of alcohol, narcotics and other opiate or stimulative substances.
- Injuries due to alcohol or drug consumption or accidents where the insured was operating a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Pre-existing disease or condition and complications there of
3. THE FOLLOWING EXPENSES ARE NOT COVERED WITH THIS INSURANCE
- Medical costs related to examination or treatment which are not administered by a licensed physician or in a licensed healthcare institution
- Costs of rehabilitation, physical therapy, kinesitherapy, all expenses for spas, hydrotherapeutic treatment or other such resorts and facilities
- Costs for medical help administered by homeopathic doctors or natural doctors
- Dental treatment – fillings, devitalization, prosthetic treatment and all alike, except emergency anesthesia and medically dental surgery in case of accident
- Vision – eye exams, prescription glasses and/or contact lenses
- Costs relative to treatment of the mental health and mental disorders of the insured
- Routine or preventative exams or health screenings
WHO IS MY MEDICAL INSURANCE COMPANY?
ADDITIONAL INSURANCE COVERAGE